Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Cold-Hearted Assignment

I would like to focus on the story “Cold Hearted” by David Wong. One of the reasons is that I really like the father’s character, he seems pretty stern, but he’s got a style of his own. I would like to focus on the character development of Genius, the father. Often times it is Genius’ silence which conveys his feelings. He is able to communicate with his son without speaking. And when he does speak it is usually something pretty entertaining and insightful. One of my favorite quotes from Genius is, “I have two kit, I feed two mouth. I have four kit, I feed four mouth.” He has a very concise way of speaking, this can partially be credited to his difficulty with the English language. I would also like to focus on the plot structure, I admire the way Wong tells this story, which seems to be going nowhere but then it ends in this epiphany. This seems to be a very pedestrian story about a quirky father who brings his son on a seemingly ridiculous mission to obtain a discarded refrigerator. It shows how you don’t have to be a monk on top of a mountain to experience a moment of enlightenment. On the contrary, everyday life can yield profound moments.

2 comments:

  1. It kind of made me think of Into the Wild, or any story about a man finding enlightenment. The movie The Fountain was kind of like that, but in a different sense. Everyday life can yield profound moments, you just have to know where to find them. It also sounds like something my friends and I would do when we had no money, driving around and finding discarded things. Obviously, his mission was harder, but still the same feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comment about "not needing to be a monk to discover enlightenment." The story kind of exemplifies that seeing as the two characters are regular joe's.

    ReplyDelete